Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

significannce of 20LOg

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepa

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
20log

Can anyone tell me why we always use 20log(something) to represent a signal in db,why not 30 log() or 5log() .What is so special about this number

20 log db

deepa,
The "bel" is the logarithm of a power ratio. Since 1 bel represents a large power ratio (10), the decibel was introduced as a matter of convenience. One bel = 10 decibels, so 10 decibels (10 log(10)) also represents a power ratio. of 1. Gain is often specified as a voltage ratio. Power is proprtional to V^2. 10 log(V^2) = 20 log(V). Remember this from algebra?
Regards,
Kral

www.edaboard.com ftopic239264

I use to always think of power dbs as 3 db is twice the power and voltage dbs as 6 db is twice the voltage until a college pointed out that dbs were dbs there. Asking if the db figure is a power or voltage is meaningless
If the voltage increases X2 ie 6 db the associated power into a constant load goes up by 2 squared
so twice the voltage is 6 db which gives 2 X 2 times the power - 3 + 3 = 6 hence 6 db is twice the voltage that exuates to 4 times the power - which is a power increase of 6 db

I hope this is clear - it was when I initially understood it !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back