Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

signals which have themselves as fourier transform

Status
Not open for further replies.

smslca

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We know that the Fourier transform of a Gaussian function is Gaussian function itself. We can also say that periodic impulse train also satisfies this property. Can anyone give one or more signals which have themselves as FT?

Let \[x(t) \] be even and let \[x(t)\Longrightarrow X(f)\], then duality says \[X(t)\Longrightarrow x(f) \] Thus \[x(t)+X(f) \Longrightarrow X(f) + x(f) \]. Thus we have infinite of them.

miketest123 :D

Last edited by a moderator:

You probably mean to type X(t).

Let's an interesting observation. Have you constructed several such functions yet?

miketest123 said:
Let [tex:804eaf0979]x(t) [/tex:804eaf0979] be even and let [tex:804eaf0979]x(t)\Longrightarrow X(f)[/tex:804eaf0979], then duality says [tex:804eaf0979]X(t)\Longrightarrow x(f) [/tex:804eaf0979] Thus [tex:804eaf0979]x(t)+X(f) \Longrightarrow X(f) + x(f) [/tex:804eaf0979]. Thus we have infinite of them.

miketest123 :D

in general, don't you need to conjugate X?

eg, if x(t) = e^-jwt, then the forward transform using x(t) e^-jwt in the integral will give one value. The inverse transform uses e^jwt in the integral to go from X back to x.

I'd have to look at this more for the more general complex case.

Hermite functions are eigenfunctions of the Fourier transform, which means that up to a constant factor (in this case it can be +i, -i, +1 or -1) they are equal to their Fourier transform. If you want the constant factor to be equal to +1, you have to choose every fourth of the Hermite functions. The zeroth Hermite function is the Gaussian function, others are products of polynomials time Gaussian.

Status
Not open for further replies.