Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Signal filter L or R - need opinion, confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bengt

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Signal filter L or R

I am about to design in a filter on the RS232 signal lines from a Bluetooth module and other circuit. The purpose is to avoid the noise from the module. The RS232 is communicating in 230 kbit. It is a space critical application so the components must be small, 0402 or 0603 size.

There are some alternatives
1. Series resistors. I know that 10 k works fine with the same circuits and signal speed.
2. I can replace the resistors with multi layer chip inductors.
3. I can combine any of the above method with a capacitor to GND to form a well defined LP filter.

The draw back of 3 is size, nothing else (I think). But what about R or L? A chip inductor is a wide band EMC surpressign component but it will never have such a high impedance as 10k for any freqvens. For low frequencys the inductor will have just a few ohms. But how do a resistor work at higher frequencies? There is not much about this in the data sheets.

So, I understand that 3 may always be a good idea and also will have a better defined cut of frequency. The problem is to choose L or R.

Status
Not open for further replies.