Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sigma delta modulator simulink model troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

eladla

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I am currently working on a sigma delta modulator design. I have done all the math and extracted coefficients. I am now implementing my design in SIMULINK. The design is a 4th order CIFF. I am having one issue. When I ran the simulation the first time I got a negative SNR. When I removed the DAC and made it so the quantizer out put was Vref or -Vref (instead of 1 and 0), I got the SNR I expected from the theoretical calculations. I see a DAC in most of the references I looked at. Any ideas why this is? Am I doning something wrong?

Thanks you ppl!

Maybe you have a gain element of 1/Vref after the DAC?

Thank you for your reply.
No, I have a gain element calculated by SDToolbox.
I`m now wondering...
Maybe the output of a fully differential feedforward modulator should be 1 or -1. How else will we be able to encode both possitive and negative inputs?

I think that you are right. If you have negative signals you have to have the feedback with negative signals too.

The feedback DAC converts the output to Vref or -Vref, but my problem is that I have to set the output of the quantizer to 1 and -1 (in stead of 0 and 1) or else I don`t get the calculated SNR.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

SNR will be positive if you will not consider DC point.
In my design I use calcSNR from SDToolbox:
[snr,ptot]=calcSNR(yy1(1:N),f,3,fB,w,N);
instead of [snr,ptot]=calcSNR(yy1(1:N),f,1,fB,w,N);
And in all demos from SDToolbox output of the modulator is bipolar.

Status
Not open for further replies.