Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should I learn Visual C++?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danish.umer.k

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have completed BS in Electrical Engineering. I few days ago a former teacher of mine suggested that I learn programming in Visual C++. I did not have enough time then to discuss it in detail with him. I am good at programming microcontroller with C. Can somebody in here explain how Visual C++ can be useful for me as an Electrical Engineer?

It sounds like you are a recent graduate and may not have a job yet. My advice would be to go through the engineering job boards and look to see what various employers are looking for. If Visual C++ is on top of the list, then that would be a good choice. You want to learn (and become proficient in) whatever would make you more marketable. Some years back, I was looking for a job and LabVIEW was one of the requirements for 2 of them. I downloaded the 30 day demo and picked up enough to (at least) sound like I knew what I was talking about to get the job.

Thanks for your advice. I am actually doing Masters in Electrical Engineering with specialization in Control Engineering now so I am not looking for job yet. I asked this question because I want to do something interesting and useful in the free time I have. Can you think of any examples of how Visual C++ can be useful to an Electrical Engineer.

Better surely to learn C++ (As in the standard language) which can then be applied in any remotely suitable environment.
Learn the language not the tool.

Other things that might be very worthwhile, VHDL, Verilog, Matlab/Simulink (Especially for a controls guy), at least a passing familiarity with one of the serious EDA tools (Orcad, Altium, whatever), mechanical cad (Solidworks, pro-E whatever), scripting languages are never time wasted (Even really pony ones like writing macros in Excel)...

73 Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back