Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shock Current Path (Grounding problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

albus

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
00058.png

I'm a little bit confused with grounding a high voltage source. In the above image I don't understand exactly why the person is not electrocuted. Why electrons doesn't flow from the negative end of the source to the ground? Do electrons always have to flow from the negative end to the positive end of the source to complete the path?

I don't think that referring to electrons for the explanation will bring an advantage. It presumes that you understand the behaviour of electrons better than abstracted electric circuits which is probably not the case.

If you use "flowing electrons" just as a synonymous for current, you are right: There must be a closed current path which isn't there.

Yeah I meant of course current by flowing electrons. Let's say the top wire is Vx and the bottom is Vy. The only thing we know is that Vx-Vy has a significant value. Vx might be positive or negative or 0 with respect to ground. But how can we say that Vx is absolutely zero and there will be no voltage difference thus no current flow through the person?

Think of it this way:

The positive voltage is at the top of the battery. The person touching it becomes a conductor and connects it to ground. So the bottom of the battery just becomes negative with respect to ground, no current actually flows.

Brian.

If you *want* to shock the person, ground the negative portion of the load... then some current will flow between the dude and ground. If the resistance of the load is high, the dude will get more current...

Status
Not open for further replies.