Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Setup of Rhode & Schwarz ENV216 2-line V Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

dml

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

We recently ordered a Hameg EMC-PCS3 EMC precompliance set to allow us to perform conducted emissions tests at our R&D office. This set includes the HM6050-2 Line Impedance Stabilization Network, which according to the manual, looks to be simple enough to setup. Our supplier was unable to provide this LISN with the set, instead sending us a Rhode and Schwarz ENV216 2-line V network which we were told was basically a higher-end LISN. Upon comparing the manuals for both devices, it does seem the V network is a bit more involved with the initial setup than the LISN - in particular, for protective grounding, in addition to the ground pin on the mains input plug, it asks for a 'further' grounding conductor with 'adequate' diameter to be connected to the grounding bolt of the V network. The LISN by comparison, appears to just use the grounding connection provided on the mains input plug.

I understand this requirement is for protection, but I am left not quite understanding what would be suitable for the V network's 'further' grounding connector. Would a connection to a second power socket's ground connector be adequate, or is something more needed, such as a direct connection to a grounding stake outside our office? It would be much appreciated if someone could offer some insights into the connection required for this additional ground. The manual refers to IEC 60364-5-54, which I unfortunately do not have access to at this stage.

Kind Regards,
dml

In the company i work we use this same ENV216,
this second connection is connected through a 25MM² straight to a PE rail.
Also we connected the ENV216 with a vertical ground plane,
(it is bolted to a vertical ground plane which is connected to the PE rail)
The PE rail is connected straight to the ground coming into the building with a serious cable to provide a low impedance.

I do not have the standard You refer to (unfortunately), although my assumption is that this extra line is for shielding purposes to provide a path with a little as possible impedance to PE.

Reactions: dml

dml

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I think that the ENV216 manual is giving sufficient details to understand the intended grounding even without reading the said IEC text. You should consider purchasing the document nevertheless.

There are basically two aspects of the external ground connection:
- a safety related aspect. As clearly written in the manual it must be connected before ENV216 can be safely powered.
- a RF related aspect. The ground is acting as low impedance connection for the DUT PE. In the IEC measurement setup, it's directly bridged to the vertical metal plate.

HMS 6050-2 is functionally similar, also regarding the external ground connection, not surprizing because it's designed according to the same test specifications.

Reactions: dml

dml

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back