Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Setup and hold time- Water Pipe Analogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcnvcc

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Could anybody explain about setup and hold time with keeping in mind the water pipe analogy?

Here what is my meaning---
Say water is flowing like DATA, You open and close the valve for particular time--
at particular place, there it is required to decide the time so that flow of water is unique like FLOW OF DATA...... .......Any body knows this Analogy??????????

i can't quite understand your analogy.

first, flowing water has no two different states as streaming bits.

secondly, well i think that's it :D

setup time and hold time is a time period where the change of logical states becomes the boundaries of them. please CMIIW

Hi vcnvcc,

I dont know about the water pipe analogy.

During my school time, my lecturer give one good analogy. It is called "Taking Your Friend to the Train".

If the train leaves at 8:00 and you live 20 minutes away from the station, when should you leave your house?

At 7:40! (“setup time” is 20 minutes)

If you leave after 7:40, you will miss the train. If you leave before 7:40, you should have enough time to get to the station before it leaves.

Your friend needs help boarding the train and the train allows only 5 minutes for boarding. How long should you stay after you have arrived?

At least five minutes (“hold time”) or 8:05 at the earliest.

Without your help for the full 5 minutes, your friend
is not able to board and will miss the train.

Hope it helps...Enjoy!

Taking your friend to the train? haha, i like it.. :)

What about this one:

"Weightlifting"
you will need a certain amount of time to take a deep breath and then lift the weight (setup time). after that, you still need to hold the weight on top of you for a few seconds (hold time), then you are allowed to drop it..

Hmm.. not a good analogy either isn't it :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back