Status
Not open for further replies.

aliyesami

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am building a reciever module that will output serial data I have two questions:
1) how can I convert this serial data to usb to hook up to my pc ? and would i need to write my own device driver?
2) can i power the reciever circuit with the power from the usb port ?

thanks

hi aliyesami ,

i understood ur requirement

1) how can I convert this serial data to usb to hook up to my pc ? and would i need to write my own device driver?
Ans:so for ur application u need to select microcontroller which suport UART and internal USB driver there are lot of manufacturer so u need to search bcz cost of device and avalibality also importent....
i think below links may help u.else go and search in microchip (pic).
a) https://www.maximintegrated.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/4751
b)**broken link removed**

2) can i power the reciever circuit with the power from the usb port ?
Ans : sure you can power up but before that u need to understand voltage and current requirment of ur hole setup ...normally most of usb drivers works with TTL logics only some of CMOS .if its CMOS again u need add LDO regulators in ur design...

i think this may help bcz wt i knw just telling u....good luck

I looked into FT232R chip , it says its a usb to serial converter , but I need the opposite , I need to convert serial to USB , or does this chip do both?

also my system is 3v , will this chip work on 3v?

I looked into FT232R chip , it says its a usb to serial converter , but I need the opposite , I need to convert serial to USB , or does this chip do both?

also my system is 3v , will this chip work on 3v?

these devices give you a COM port which can used with terminal emulators such as hyperterm, teraterm, etc (you can set baud rate, data bits etc) or you can write your own programs - you can transmit and receive characters

there are RS232, 5v and 3V versions
for 3v you need either TTL-232RG-VSW3V3-WE (with flying leads) or TTL-232R-3V3 (with connector)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…