Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial port to L293D...???

Status
Not open for further replies.

iridium

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
l293d rs232

Please help me.... i need to program serial port with VB6... do enuone knows how to conect and program serial port to L293D... Thanks!! Ognjen, Serbia

l293 parallel port

You will not be able to connect it directly. Better use a level converter IC, such as MAX232 or MAX233, and a microcontrolelr in between the PC and the L293D.

At least even w/o a specific visual Basic interface, you can control the motor via the L293D by just using hyperterminal.

l293 connect to parallel

"...hyperterminal".... i`m new in electronics and i`ll appreciate if you can explain it to me... Thank you!!!!
/Ognjen

serial port l293 max232

hyperterminal is software for communication via serial port, in Windows 98 you can find it Accesoris->Communiction->hyperterminal
but this is only text mode type and you can send character only, but can not send hex type.

Added after 24 minutes:

how to conect and program serial port to L293D... Thanks!! Ognjen, Serbia

L293D have 4 input, you can direct control with serial port via RTS & DTS pin and control this via software, but must have 2 serial port like COM1 and COM 2
so between serial port and L293 must be conveter RS232 to TTL with MAX232 or ICL232 or MC1449.

rts dts voltage

crazy enough to control it by using two serial ports.

Just use a micro and one serial port.

If you don't want to use a microcontroller maybe you should consider using the parallel port...

Thanks guys... My project was based on pralell port, but then i found out thet my girlfrieds laptpot dont have a paralell prt... and this project i makin for her. Problem is that softwer for this bot must to work undr XP. I made scheme for connectin l293d with serial... first i need only two input pins(for only one motor), secend, there is one problem... dts and rts pins on serial port givin or -12 or +12v always so i figured that i can use some pnp trans... so when i turn on, for exemple rts pin it will feed pnp and it will let power to l293d input pin... that is same and for dts pin... what you think? THANKS!!
/ognjen

What I think is, stick with the MAX232 and a microcontroller.

You can learn how to use from the datasheet:

**broken link removed**

if you using microcontrolle for advance, but for simple circuit, you can direct RTS and DTS to PNP transistor and diode to block -12V, so output RTS and DTS voltage is 0 and +12V.

Yea... That was my idea to... So, i can do that... THANKS!

Added after 1 hours 32 minutes:

Hey guys can you tell me which pnp trans. to use... Thanks!
Ognjen

you can use 2N2222 for NPN Transistor or 2N3906 for PNP transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back