Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial port programming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

artem

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am playing with serial port under windows 2k trying to implement modbus master working over rs485 in halfduplex mode . 232-485 covnerters transmit direction is controlled via RTS line (similar to described in Serial port complete).
My problem is - i can not properly detect end of transmission (when last character has been transmitted from com port ).

Writing done as (just tried with 8 bytes):

- Escape communiaction function to assert RTS
- Writing data via WriteFile (write timeouts do not affect transmission currently set to 0)
- Waiting on comm events tx empty (comm mask has been set on tx empty event previously )
- Escape comm funtion to deassert RTS

Measured RTS line pulse for above procedure - 100 microseconds. COM port speed 19200 . But 8 byte transfer actually takes 4.5 millseconds. I assume - WriteFile returns upon sending last character in software tx buffer , but not last character from hardware buffer .

Then setting RTS control to TOGGLE in DCB structure extends RTS pulse up to 15 millseconds against 4.5 miliseconds of actual transfer which is too big - i loose 10 millisecond of transfer time per packet, while actual modbus turnaround for mentioned speed should not be more than 1.75 milliseconds (t3.5 timer).

Then i have tried to set a Sleep() for 1 millisecond after transfer - but again RTS pulse delayed up to 15 milliseconds , whch is about poor windows timing resolution for Sleep() .

Microsoft MSDN says - to detect end of transfer for last character port driver should be told, but as ioctl codes are not available - it is impossible to check whether it can be done in that way .
Till now 2 workaournds can be done :
- receive while transmit and match received packet towards sent to detect end when last transmitted character is received .
- After sending signal high resolution timer (MM timer) to have a 1-3 millisecond accuracy

Is there any other ways to detect end of actual transfer for com port?

Just little note - raising process priority (dont know whether it is applicable to console program) to realtime did not help .

added later .

Mutltimedia timers work great and provides near 1 millsec as promised . But better to keep receive active for half duplex 485 and match sent and received chars before proceeding to expect response frm slaves .

Issue has been solved. Thanks to all for invaluable help )).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back