Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial EEProm Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

robismyname

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
eeprom application

Can someone please help me interpret the 8K-bits EE prom option on page 5 of the attached schematic.

Here are some of my questions:

1) Why is there a 0 ohm resistor going to ground?
2)Pin 6 and 5 are connected to what?
3)why is A0,A1,A2 connected to ground?
4) Why are there not bypass caps on VCC?
5) What is the value of R9?
6) Why is pin 7,6,5 connected to power?
7) What does DNS mean?

Im using this schematic as a reference for my own design and just wanted to get a feel for what is being done.

Any help is appreciated.

eeprom app.

Hi robismyname

1: You are able to write

2: I²C

3: Defines I²C-address

4: There is C23

5: Just pads, not equipped

6: They are not, have a closer look :D

7: See point 5

Best regards,

ep20k

dns do not stuff

ep20k said:

Is an FPGA a I2C device?

So R9 is just a pad? Why didn't they just type PADS instead of DNS? What does DNS actually mean?

R10 is connected to pin 5 on one side but what is it connected to on the other side? I see 1.8V_BD isn't that power?

R11 is connected to pin 6 on one side but what is it connected to on the other side?
I see 1.8V_BD isn't that power?

serial eeprom application

DNS means 'do not stuff.' an instruction to the PC board maker.
It can also appear as DNP ('do not populate') which makes a bit more sense on a surface-mount board

robismyname said:
Is an FPGA a I2C device?
You can make it an 'I2C device', have a look at the opencores side.

robismyname said:
So R9 is just a pad? Why didn't they just type PADS instead of DNS? What does DNS actually mean?
No it is R9 without the resistor. It is not helpfull to start your design with a write protected EEPROM. Later you can equip the PCB with a programmed PROM and R9.

DNS :?: maybe 'do not supply'

robismyname said:
R10 is connected to pin 5 on one side but what is it connected to on the other side? I see 1.8V_BD isn't that power?
yes

robismyname said:
R11 is connected to pin 6 on one side but what is it connected to on the other side?
U1

ep20k said:
robismyname said:
yes

robismyname said:
U1

i see R11 connected to pin 6 on one side and 1.8V_BD on the other side. It looks the same as R10 so I would think the answers would be the same(r10 and r11 connected to power.

The datasheet says the data pin sda is pulled high. Doesn't the clock pin scl need to be set high in order to toggle?

THe datasheet says A0 ans A1 are no connects and A2 is used for hardwire addressing. Well if A2 is used for hardwire addressing why is it connected to ground in the schematic?

please help

robismyname said:
i see R11 connected to pin 6 on one side and 1.8V_BD on the other side. It looks the same as R10 so I would think the answers would be the same(r10 and r11 connected to power.

The datasheet says the data pin sda is pulled high. Doesn't the clock pin scl need to be set high in order to toggle?
R10 and R11 are the pull-ups for clock and data lines of the I2c-bus. So both lines are set high. It is just fine.

robismyname said:
THe datasheet says A0 ans A1 are no connects and A2 is used for hardwire addressing. Well if A2 is used for hardwire addressing why is it connected to ground in the schematic?
See figure 7 of the datasheet.

ep20k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back