Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Sensor output high for >30secs, but I need a short pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain_Mainwaring

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have a design that I need help and advice with. I have a sensor that is triggered when a physical action happens (a bit like a jack in the box) and the output remains high until it is reset by replacing the moving part back into its "loaded" position. However, I would like to use circuitry to get a short pulse (maybe ~50ms or so) when the rising edge of the sensor is detected.

What sort of circuit would do for this?

Thanks,

George

Attachments

• timing diagram.png
    timing diagram.png
    15 KB · Views: 59

any edge triggered mono-shot circuit will do the job. Depending on your sensor output, you might want to precede that with a schmitt trigger gate.

50mS is a longish period - what is this to be used for ?

555 timers are commonly used as a one-shot (monostable multivibrator) but for your requirement of a positive edge-triggered circuit with a long duration trigger, the CD4047 would give a simpler circuit (just one external R and C required).

If the trigger pulse has a ratty edge then you may need a Schmitt trigger such as a CD4106 to clean up the signal. You can experimentally determine the need for that by first trying the one-shot without it.

A 555 IC is easy to use...

Although if you wish to experiment with simple transistor circuits, this illustrates how a positive input can produce a positive pulse for 50 mSec.

7507636400_1400697078.png

The snapshot shows an overall timeframe under 1 sec.

After the incoming signal is removed, the capacitor discharges through the 1M resistor. In a few seconds it resets and is ready for the next use.

Thanks guys for all the input, some really good ideas and advice here!!!

To kripacharya, I just need a pulse that is long enough to be picked up as an input by an Arduino digital input pin. I thought 30-50ms would be a nice long pulse to ensure the Arduino got it!

Cheers,

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back