Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sensor and communication method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moof

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Friends:

i need to connect a temperature sensor to a pic, but i have some problems:

1- it is a battery project so i need to consider how much current i "spend" feeding the sensor and the signal condicioning.

2- need 0.5ºC or 1ºC accuracy.

3- maximum distance 20 meters.

4- minimum vcc = 3 v

Any suggestions how to do this?. Any sensor. I saw a lot of sensors with low current, but the interface is spi and i don't thing that i can use spi with a cable 20 meters long!!.

Message is unavailable.

1-Wire Parasite-Power Digital Thermometer DS18B20-PAR
**broken link removed**

The 1-Wire® protocol was originally designed for communication with nearby devices on a short connection — a way to add auxiliary memory on a single microprocessor port pin. Customers soon devised unique applications that involved extending the bus and moving the slave devices farther and farther from the master

Overview of 1-Wire Technology and Its Use
**broken link removed**

Guidelines for Reliable 1-Wire Networks
**broken link removed**

DS18B20-PAR/DS18S20-PAR/DS1822-PAR Advantages for Remote Temperature Sensing
**broken link removed**

I have used that 1-wire thermometer with a PIC and it works very well.

I have three of them on a single bus as part of a solar heating controller. They have been running for about 6 months taking a reading from each sensor every 5 seconds and I think there have only been about 5 bus errors in that time.
I am actually not using the sensors in parasitic mode as I wanted power avalible for future expandability but as far as I am conserned the only problem with the sensors is the cost.

Rod

edit: Forgot to say that the closest sensor is on the pcb, the middle sensor is about 15m away and the furthest sensor is about 25m away

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back