Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensitivity of a CCD sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dany.1986

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to understand some parameters of a ccd sensor. The one that interests me the most is the sensitivity of a sensor. What does a 1000 mV sensitivity mean? Is the sensitivity of a sensor better if this number is higher, or is it better if it is lower. Could somebody explain it to me please.

Thanks

The interesting parameter is signal-to-noise ratio for a given irradiance. Absolute signal level doesn't tell much.

if the CCD device is a camera type device then it could be designed to operate in the dark or in the light. So without reference to the light intensity and the output signal to noise ratio the "sensitivity" does not mean any thing. This could be quoted as its dynamic range.
Frank

Thank you for your answers. I still don't fully understand one thing... In any datasheet for a ccd sensor there is a parameter called 'sensitivity' and a value in mV associated with it. What does it mean? How can it be used in any calculations to evaluate sensor's optical performance (can it be used for anything like this)? Different sensors have different values for this parameter. Reading chuckey's response I now think that it is the voltage generated by the sensor per one lux... am I right? Is a lower or higher value better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back