Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sending images/video using gsm

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogy

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello
i am doing final year project and i want to send images using gsm but i dont have idea how it would be possible to implement
can somebody help me???
pls rply soon

Before considering technical details, you may want to think about the problem in terms of image file size respectively video bit rates versus available GSM data rates. If high speed GPRS/EDGE/UMTS links are an option, it doesn't look too bad, but image compression is a key topic in any case.

Hi Yogy...
Let me tell you that only with GSM is really difficult to accomplish, you have to use al least GPRS.
You can use GPRS with your GSM module (you dont need anything more), but you have to create a program based GPRS commands (AT commands).
Good luck
Rod_O

Right now the local GSM modems do not provide any facility to send video... at student level you may at the max use some SIMCOM modems which are cheap.. they dont support video data transmission. and as FVM said Data compression is a very huge task at your student level...

Standard JPG images, also a still image or video stream from a webcam is usually compressed up to the maximum. You mostly can select different image resolutions. In so far compression must no necessarily be performed in your software. But you need to define the intended resolution/frame rate (in case of video)/wireless data rate as a first step.

you can transfer data between point A and point B on GSM networks too but the question is how much data? If you are planning to send 1x1 pixels monochrome videos then yes, the bandwidth is enough.
For bigger images and more colors, depending on the codec used, ONE MORE IMPORTANT thing you have to consider is the "BandWidth" available to you.... you will have some specific bandwidth needs but that is pure math so if you get down to it you can easily determined what is the highest quality video you can transfer.
Apparenlty Nokia and the operators have studied the issue and the conclusion was that they need to invest big money in more advanced devices and networks in order to support video telephony service. Most likely the reason was the same math ...

As a supplement, referring to standard MMS formats may be an option.

Thanks a lot everyone
I hav decided to use simcom gsm/gprs module.
also i am thinking of using pic controller to interface camera and gprs module.
what type of camera that i have not decided yet.
is it necessary to perform image compression if i am using gprs module?
can u tell me whether pic mc is sufficient or not?

thanks

image compression and other techniques are mandatory whatever modem you use. deconding and encoding is done at application level.. it is better to go with higher end of pic like DSPIC or any 32 bit controller...

is it possible to send images directly on webpage if i am using gprs?
i am going to create webpage using vb script.
thanks

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

image compression and other techniques are mandatory whatever modem you use. deconding and encoding is done at application level.. it is better to go with higher end of pic like DSPIC or any 32 bit controller...

working on dsp processor going to be tough....i had studied pic in academics.
storing images creates a problem but i can use external memory to store image.
can u give me literature about this???

hello
i am doing final year project and i want to send images using gsm but i dont have idea how it would be possible to implement
can somebody help me???
pls rply soon

Hi,

Can you do this. I have t65 gsm modem and I want to send/receive mms. Could you tell me to help.
Regards.

Hi,

I need the exact same thing for my project. Please tell me how you had implimented image transfer over GPRS from MCU? I can get images on MCU.
Please reply.

hi.. alredy images r in the PC... jus a wavefrm... can v transmit via GSM???

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back