Not open for further replies.

jsp

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I want to send DC(9-30V@0.5A) and digital data using bus from a Microcontroller to a sensor board.The distance between these boards are 500cm.It needs to be a more rugged solution.Basically I need the data transfer in both bidirections.(i.e read the status and control a DC motor on sensor board).I want two use less number of lines.For me around 100KHz speed is sufficient.Can somebody help me in this design.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Please help me

I think you can use One Wire communication. You can use dallas chips. I know a little about this communication protocol but i know you can send or receive data on one wire. But i don't know if it's speed is enough for you. I have no idea about its frequency. But you can make some search abot this topic.

You can consider standard RS-232 communication - 2 wires - and another 2 wires for power - they can "share" 1 power cable (negative) as the common ground ..

5m distance is not a problem ..

If you can, try CAT-5 cable ..

Regards,
IanP

Thanks for sending the reply.

Can I use OOK modulation for data and combine with DC on single line.Iam looking for a cost effective solution.

Thanks

Please help me

I think that you can use two wires to do. One for DC
power line, and the another for ground.And then use FSK modem ic to transmit or receive data.

you should try CAN bus....

Please help me

Hello
For data communication, RS-232 is a 3-wire interface and it is Full-duplex (transmit and recieve at the same time).
But RS-485 (or RS-422) is 2-wire only. Moreover, RS-485 supports the communication between more than 2 boards (2 or more) on the same data bus. However, RS-485 is half-duplex (transmission and reception are not allowed at the same time).
Both RS232 and RS485 support baud rates (speeds) up to 115,200 Kbit/Second.

All you need to do is to buy the convenient drive MAX232 or MAX485 from Maxim. There is a big number of compatible drivers on the market from other manufacturers.
I guess you should also consider some standard protocols when writing your software drivers such as Modbus, Fielbus , ...

Regards
Ahmed Salah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…