Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Semiconductor degradation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singapura

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
It seems to me that as an equipment ages, its current consumption increases. This could be due to the characteristics of semiconductor found in the PCB components made up of discrete and integrated circuits.

Is there any white paper or references that deal with this issue? Where can I find them? Thanks for assisting.

It is more likely that the bypass and power supply filter capacitors have increased leakage current. Especially if they are polarized types.

In electronics, every device can be specified with no of operation depending on his operating condition, Manufacturing process (Doping process & Profile,), Device dimension etc. With heat in junction, junction layer widens and when touch the any end contact, it must malfunction. Any one important transistor/component malfunction in any Chip results in exhaust of life of that chip.

Semiconductors often fail with gross high supply current
but this comes down to cases. Aging effects are as likely to
reduce current as increase it. Stress effects, likewise.
Only manufacturer lifetest data for the part in question
would give you an indication of any relevance.

I've seen PMOS devices that "walk out" in breakdown
and show lower leakage after abuse. You can't really
generalize, usefully.

Tons more info than you want, in IEEE reliability physics society
publications but it's all lawyered up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back