Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm wondering what is the difference between these SDC commands:
set output delay vs set_max_delay?
When should I use one and not the other?

set_output_delay is meant for the outputs from the FPGA. THey can be used to let the fitter change the delay on the output pins.
set_max_delay is to set the max delay between two items inside the FPGA - eg. between two registers.

Reactions: shaiko

shaiko

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
set_output_delay is meant for the outputs from the FPGA
Outputs from the device relative to a specified clock?

set_max_delay is to set the max delay between two items inside the FPGA
Can it constrain the delay between a register and an FPGA pin ?

Allows you to override the default setup constraint for any path with a specific maximum time value for the path. You can specify the source (-from), common through elements (- thru), and destination (-to) elements of the path included in the maximum delay value.
Maximum delays are always relative to any clock network delays (if the source or destination is a register) or any input or output delays (if the source or destination is a port). Thus, input delays and clock latencies are added to the data arrival times; clock latencies are added to data required times; and output delays are subtracted from data required times.

shaiko

Outputs from the device relative to a specified clock?

As far as I understand it

Can it constrain the delay between a register and an FPGA pin ?

I dont know - ive never done that. Ive only used set_max_delay for CDCs and to make the fitter prioritise specified paths (as a last resort)

shaiko

How do you constrain signals inside an inner hierarchy ? How do you access the internal element ?

How do you constrain signals inside an inner hierarchy ? How do you access the internal element ?

Either by using the entire hierarchical path name or use some wild cards to find the path.

e.g.

top/module1/module2/module3/some_reg_name

could also be found by...
top/*/some_reg_name

shaiko

Either by using the entire hierarchical path name or use some wild cards to find the path.

e.g.

top/module1/module2/module3/some_reg_name

could also be found by...
top/*/some_reg_name

Be careful on the hierarchy paths - I dont know whether xilinx and altera use the same formatting. In Altera, the format is:
top\entity1_name:inst_name\entity2_name:inst_name\reg

Also, altera allows two wildcards, * (for multiple char replacement) and ? (for single char replacement)
I think Vivado only allows *, and currently has a bug where only a single * can be used in a path (you can work around it with regular expressions though).

shaiko

ads-ee, TrickyDicky,

Can you please give me a brief insight on how you constraint your (FPGA) design:
Other then the trivial "create_clock" command for - what SDC commands do you most often use?
To what do you pay special attention?

Usually my timing SDC files look something like this:

1. create_clock
2. set_input_jitter
3. create_generated_clock
4. set_clock_groups
5. set_input_delay
6. set_output_delay
7. set_multicycle_path (if there are any)
8. set_min/max_delay (exceptions)
9. set_false_path (more exceptions)

I also pay special attention to having no unconstrained paths, and no/very_little overlap in constraints (i.e. I usually have a small number of very specific set_min/max_delay and set_false_path constraints in the SDC).

shaiko

create_clock will constrain 90% of the design.
Then you need max_delays or false paths for CDCs
then IO delays with set input and output delays.

Other than that - go with whatever the documentation tells you.
If there is a timing issue (ie not meeting timing) first port of call is always the code.

shaiko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…