Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] SD card with 5V PIC18 in Proteus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synaps3

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm pretty new to PIC programming and I'm trying to interface an SD card with a PIC18F4685. I began by doing a simulation with proteus because I don't have the actual hardware yet. This PIC chip is a 5V and the SD card is 3.3V so I have this extra circuit:

sdcard.PNG

The problem is this doesn't work in proteus unless the SD is directly connected to the PIC. I just want to confirm that this is needed in real life and the circuit is accurate.

Something unrelated I should add: You CAN NOT make a FAT16 SD card image for Proteus using WinImage software. It creates a FAT12 instead. I saw many tutorials where they said to use winimage, but it doesn't work and i thought there was something wrong with the code, but I just had to download a real FAT16 image.

You don't need a potential divider, just a series resistor of about 4.7K, which should work in real life and in Proteus.

WinImage works. You have to create a FAT type .ima file and then rename it to .mmc file for Proteus. I have done SD Card projects and simulated them successfully in Proteus and also got them worked in real hardware. In DIY section search for "USB HID 4 Channel Datalogger". It uses USB HID and also SD Card. In Proteus you have to connect SD Card module directly to PIC without resistors. For test in hardware buy SD Card reader modules from eBay or Banggood.com I have used them and they work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.