Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

scr half wave phase control circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

toppytop

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
120 vac in 18vac out

I would greatly appreciate someone to help me out with this design. What I am doing is controlling a Lionel train with a simple triac/diac (actually a Quadrac) type control for a fan motor at 120 VAC. I can wire the control on the primary side of my 120 VAC to 18 VAC transformer and it works fine to control the train. My problem is I don't want it on the primary side I want it on the secondary 18 VAC side. I can run multiple trains from this transformer and just need individual controllers. The breakover voltage of the diac is too high for this lower voltage. I must start from scratch with the control and don't know if I need zero crossing detection or not or if I will need a opto-isolator or not. In my small mind this shouldn't take much of a circuit but my background isn't electronics, it's in control wiring. Could someone post a schematic or two on how to accomplish this control. Thank you.
BTW: Five amps is what will be needed and the train does operate on AC, reversing is done from within the train engine.

18vac

I have the schematic of the fan control I mentioned above. This is the type circuit I am looking for. Maybe this one can be modified to work with the lower secondary voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.