ice.deepcold

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
schottky diode

Hello,

I was just wondering what is the difference between a ZERO bias schottky diode and a Schottky diode?
I am trying to design a rectifier at 2.4GHz and need to know which diode will perform the best.

Thank you

Most of Schottky diodes have a typical "knee" on I/V curve around 0.3 to 0.5 V. This limits their low-level detection threshold to > -20 dBm. To increase detector sensitivity, such diodes are DC-biased which is not too comfortable.
ZERO bias Schottky diodes were developed with < 0.3 V "knee", some ~ 0.15V, so in detectors they operate well from ~ 30 dBm RF power. Such diodes are mostly used in low-level RF detectors. They also have an advantage that under an overdrive with a high RF power >0 dBm, in detectors they reflect such power back and are not easily damaged.
If you need a "rectifier", to generate DC power from a 2.4 GHz signal, then it is better to use "ordinary" Schottky diode for a better efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…