Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

scheme for really slow LFO??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx5

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
stable triangle wave lfo

im planing to build an LFO(low freq oscillator) with a minimum freq of 0.1Hz....traingle wave.. all i could find are much faster(1Hz and above).....

any ideas/links?? 8O

tnx 8)

op amp lfo

rx5 said:
im planing to build an LFO(low freq oscillator) with a minimum freq of 0.1Hz....traingle wave.. all i could find are much faster(1Hz and above).....
tnx 8)

There is no much difference between 1Hz and 0.1 Hz LFO :)
If you use a standard OpAmp-based triangle oscillator, just pay attention to some details:
-- Use OpAmp with low input current, such as JFET or CMOS
-- Use timing capacitor with low leakage and low charge absorbtion, such as teflon or polyprophylen capacitors. As soon as 0.1 Hz is not a big deal, you might even use electrolytic caps, preferrably tantalum or low-leakage aluminium. Just bear in mind, electrolytic caps are not quite accurate, also their capacitance is not stable.
-- To prevent leakage, use big clearances on PCB

Is triangle wave is a requirement?
If square wave is ok, the easiest way to do it
is to use digital counter (divider)

lemme rephrase my prob... :) a TRIANGULAR wave LFO with freq of 1/32Hz to 2Hz.... :) cus im gonna use it for my 'flanger' circuit... :) so square waves are out of the story.. :)

Could you use a digital up/down counter (direction switches at end of sweep) with a DAC, running from a higher frequency oscillator? An 8 bit DAC would use an input frequency of 1024Hz to 16Hz. A higher resolution DAC would require faster clocks (12 bit would be 16kHz to 256Hz.

Two options for controlling the rise/fall times:

1- Make the oscillator frequency variable.
2- Run from an even higher frequency, and use a counter with reset to divide the frequency down to the frequency needed for the DAC steps.

This is an analog forum, but I would consider building a DDS with a triangle ROM in place of the sine ROM. Extremely precise and repeatable, but it's a non-trivial digital project.

rx5 said:
a TRIANGULAR wave LFO with freq of 1/32Hz to 2Hz for my 'flanger' circuit...

Use the circuut shown below. R1 is a trimpot, say, 1M. To reduce frequency further, increase C1 as needed, say, to 33 uF ... 100 uF. As far as triangle waveform output is high-impedance, use another OpAmp as a buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.