Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schematics and info for USB to IDE interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: USB2IDE project

neoz said:
**broken link removed**
ISP1581 Mass Storage Kit Firmware Programming Guide by Philips Semiconductor

Broken link, take it here:
**broken link removed**

Cheers ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: USB2IDE project

Hi
It looks like PHILIPS ISP1581 has no support for high speed DMA modes. It can only support upto UDMA 33. Anyway its a wonderfull general purpose high-speed USB interface.

Added after 15 minutes:

I can see two kind of USB - PATA bridge chips.
1) some of them has built-in microcontroller unit
Eg: TUSB6250 from TI, iDT600U from INDIGITA, INIC-1530 from INITIO, etc ...
2) chips without a dedicated microcontroller unit
Eg: ISP1581 from PHILIPS
TI people are using a 8050 core in their bridge. But most of the others are have ARM cores. Other than the ISP1581 most of them support data rate upto UDMA 66. Anyway its not possible to have continuous throughput at UDMA66, because USB 2.0 supports data rate upto 60MBytes/Sec (480Mbit/Sec). So you can expect bursts of UDMA66 transfers. Then too if there is support for UDMA 44 (Mode # 3) it can be safely used.

Added after 11 minutes:

Hi check https://hem.passagen.se/communication/ide.html.
It don't look like they are implementing a USB Mass Storage Class there. But may be IDE access with custom drive be possible. Anyway I guess the access will be very slow. May be usefull to you.

pravardhan said:
Hey Guys, I also want to make a USB to IDE controller myself.

If you people has a circuit diagram for any of the PIC's from MICROCHIP, then upload it here including the HEX file & the Driver for Windows.

Thanks in advance & Bye,
PRAVARDHAN

Status
Not open for further replies.