Not open for further replies.

rozerf

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
+/- 5V power supply

I need to design a power supply powered by a 9V cell battery to provide a dual polarity (one positive output and one negative with same magnitude of the positive's) power supply (say +/- 5V) with max. load curent of about 1A each rail.

Could anyone suggest a schmetic for this ?

Thx in adv

HI man,

It's easy with 78XX regulator.
Put 7805 for output +5V and 7905 for output -5V

Bye

Re: +/- 5V power supply

Can't be done. You can easily generate the +5V, -5V with a simple switching regulator (off-the-shelf part)

But...

No way will a 9V PP3 battery supply +/- 1Amp!

Maybe 50mA.

Cheers,
FoxyRick

Thx guys,

Then what other
portable power sources can replace 9V PP3 battery cell?

Maybe 0.5A is enough for my application.......

even 0.5 amp. with a portable battery is a big requirement, either way is to reduce the load, but thats a poor solution.
Can't you remove the restriction of portable battery, then you can use a step down transformer and design the power supply fro any current specification.

i use this supply for microcontroller and an audio IC, all together about 300mA, i think. so cell batterys are light-weighted and convenient if it's capable to do the job.....

You can also use two groups of six AA cells and linear regulators for both + and -. NiCad cells can source large currents. Your battery life at 300 mA would be about 5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…