Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sawing through 1.2mm thick aluminium sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello, i need to saw a 30cm square piece of aluminium into two 15cm by 30cm pieces. The aluminium is 1.2mm thick. Do you know of a saw that can do this (a hand saw)?

I would use a jig saw. If you want a hand tool, use a pad saw.

Keith

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
FWIW, pros who cut and install aluminum extrusions (for screen patio frames) use an 80-tooth carbide 10" chop saw.
But the reason for 80 is to minimize the amount that each "bite" removes, otherwise the shape starts to get deformed by the impacts.

This might be something to keep in mind if using a jigsaw since they pull up on the cut stroke and might lip the cut-edge a bit, but prob. also depends on tooth size and reciprocation speed and how slowly you progress through the mat'l.

Best case is if you have a scrap to test and tweak the procedure firstly.

T

Yes, jigsaws take a bit of setting the speed correctly and you should use a fine toothed blade for metals. It depends on how accurate your sheets need to be when you have finished.

Keith

T

Why use a saw? Use tin snips, even a good pair of scissors will cut 1.2mm aluminium.

T

i am not sure about scissors?....i dont need accuracy, its just a sheet of alu that will go against some diodes which are imitating leds.

For up to 1.5mm I use a PCB guillotine. It might put a slight bend in the metal but it easy enough to straighten out. It's much quicker than sawing, gives absolutley straight edges and there's no waste.

Brian.

T

FWIW, a cheap approach might be to simply bend and fatigue the piece along the cut-line.
Two pieces of e.g. plywood aligned to the cut-line clamped-together, and then fold the edge 90-degrees holding it against a tabletop.

First bend is certainly critical, but the second bend back the other way could be the toughest so as to not create an second unwanted fold-line.
(the remaining folds to fatigue and break-off should be easier)
Using thin-but-strong steel would make this easier than if using thicker plywood.

T

I normally use a metal hand saw and I use a small angle in order to cut exactly on the line.

T

A shearing cutter or 'guillotine' is the best way to do it.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back