Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Save audio file on EEPROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

emax0198

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want ot save an audio clip on EEPROM and play back using PIC MCU for 2 to 33 minutes. Please help if somebody has done a project like this...

think that you need 5 minutes record (and play) time
and your sample frequency is 8khz...
it means in one second you are saving 8bit*8000 data with 8bit adc without any compression algorithm..
for 5 minutes it makes 5*60*8000=2.4 megabyte... its too large...
perhaps you can decrease that using lower sample frequency but than qualyty of voice will decrease...

for small record you can use an external eeprom..

atmel has really good application note for this:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc1456.pdf
project has 4minutes and 15 second record/play time

but in your case it is more appropriate to use a sound record/play chip...
i don't know much about them but isd chips are very popular:
www.isd.com
and for their prices:
www.digikey.com

Look for ISD Single-Chip Voice Record/Playback Devices.
They have build-in player, encoder/decoder and memory.
Maybe they are litle expensive, but it worth.

It's not on a PIC and it's not in EEprom, but here is my project for an AVR record & playing from an MMC/SD or CF or harddisk https://mcselec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683
Did you know 33min * 60sec per min = 1980sec at a sample rate of 8k per sec mono = 1980 * 8000 is greater than 15M. If you apply compression you can reduce this.

you can use a mp3, chip VS1001 MP3 Decoder, in this site have the mount board and only the chip to sell **broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.