Not open for further replies.

adeel abid

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

i am a final student and working to design an inverter. for this purpose i have selected a power MOSFET IRF740. but i am very much confused about the safe operating area figure and saturation characteristics. Considering the FIARCHILD datasheet SOA curve (fig 4) says that Id=0.8A for VDS=1v but fig 6 says that Id= 2.5A for Vds=1V.

please advise about it.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IRF740.pdf
    94.6 KB · Views: 103

One is the SOA region, outside of it the transistor won't run safely, and most likely be burnt or incure obvious parameter shift. The other one is the electrical I-V characteristic, and it is without the consideration of safely working.

Thanks for your reply,

confusion to me is about first region that indicates "Rds(on) LIMITS". what i understand is that for small value of Vds one can get the max current given by Ids=Vds/Rds(on). Rds(on) automatically limits the Ids so cannot enter this region of SOA curve and device is safe automatically. But Rds(on)=0.5 max as per datasheet. So this limit must allow more Ids.

Further when you calculate the boundry resistance of this region i.e Vds/Ids (1/0.8) from SOA curve it gives greater than unity. but for same Ids & Vds saturation characteristics curve gives approx 0.5 which is acceptable value of Rds(on) as per datasheet.

i am considering these curves as conflicting with each other.

Also consider the attaced datasheet of IRF740 from international rectifiers which shows curves as per my understanding.

please comment if i am missing something

Attachments

• irf740 IR.pdf
    176.5 KB · Views: 87

Status
Not open for further replies.