Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Roger 5880 Properties for plated thru via

Status
Not open for further replies.

winglj

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pcb rodgers 58 80

Hi, everyone. I am going to use Roger 5880 as a substrate for an antenna design.

The thickness of the substrate is about 62mil. The problem is that I heard someone said that the plated-thru vias are not stable for Roger5880 substrate with thickness more than 31mil. I am wondering whether this is a case or not?

The other problem is that I am preparing to laminate the Roger6010 with 25mil as feed substrate, and Roger5880 with 62mil as antenna substrate. So I need to laminate these two substrates together. Are there any issues for this type of structure? And what kinds of bond layers should I use for the bonding?

Thanks.

rogers 5880 properties

For questions such as yours, you would be far better off emailing one of the Rogers technical service engineers. The materials you've chosen can be difficult to work with, and you should work with the experts.

To find an email contact at Rogers, take a look at: http://www.rogerscorporation.com/acm/techservicemap.htm

roger pcb 5880

First of all if board thickness is 62 mil substrate should be 59 mils and copper 1oz. It will provide the total thickness about 62 mils for doublesided board.

Secondly. You need to talk to your PCB vendor(s) about via problems. May be you can change the via diameter and solve the problem. If one vendor cannot do the job, ask another. Check their process carefully because they may easily overplate the traces and kill your project if the trace thickness is important (filters, CPW, etc.).

Last question is not clear. In any case you need to have good ground (return path) contacts.

plated via on roger pcb 5880

Your questions can be answered in general from the respective Rogers fabrication guidelines. I understand from a short review, that your design should be feasible.

But, apart from the general technological option, it has to be managed by your PCB manufacturer. I know of cases, where even leading international manufacturers simply ignored the Rogers guidelines, resulting in catastrohic failure.

0.062" is the nominal 5880 dielectric thickness, whatever one may suppose to be usual.

For plated thru hole, you have to be concern about the PCB's CTE in the Z direction.

As previously mention, the information can be found on Rogers website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back