Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Robotics battery circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jzedaker

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently building a robot with some class mates in my program at ITT tech. I would like to know if there is a circuit that i can build that will connect both batteries that I have for the robot, and switch between then as one runs low on power, and also has an LED display to indicate the charge left in each battery?

Both batteries are the same voltage?

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

I advice you use an 8 bit MCU that can drive an LCD and has a ADC with 2 channels.

one is 3300 mA and the other is 3000 mA. they are the batteries used for remote controlled cars.

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

so yes they are both same voltage

This isn't what I asked.
Are they the same voltage?

So why switch between them?
Why not connect them in parallel with a balancer?

as it stands we are trying to figure out a way for us to improve its battery life while having to ability to roam our school all day. If we connect them in parallel with a balancer, with it provide the same amount of time?

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 ----------

sorry... * will it provide the same amount of time * is what i meant to say

This is a simple circuit for a battery selection

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

This is a simple circuit for a battery selection

But I see no reason to solve it this way if both batts are of same voltage.

No if u use both batts.. in parallel each batt will need to give less amp/hrs so the time is the same .
When u mean "charge left" u need to decide if u want low volt indication before robot stops . or like in computer showing 50% or 40% or 30% left and so on...led for each percentage. U can use lm324 quad comparator and attach 4 leds .

No if u use both batts.. in parallel each batt will need to give less amp/hrs so the time is the same.

Why do you say No ?

If you use both batteries in parallel (with a balancer)
or
use battery 1 until empty and than battery 2 until empty.

The time to complete energy exhaustion in both cases will be the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.