Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RFID Reader Transmitter Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalyst

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Howdy,

I've been looking at the following RFID reader. On the datasheet (see link below) tt states the power to the transmitter/antenna can be adjusted from 0.5 Watts to 10 Watts.

**broken link removed**

In the case for inductive coupling RFID applications, why would you want to increase the power?

Wouldn't that mean that there was less current flowing through the antenna? meaning less energy available for the tag?

I'm not totally sure what is involved when changing the power...... is it the resistance or voltage that is modified?

I think I am missing something very fundamental here.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Kind Regards

Cat

The resistance of the reader coil does not change (unless you see smoke and flames coming out of it!). When you increase the power, both the voltage and the current increase. For example, if the voltage doubles, then the current also doubles (by Ohm's Law). Then you have four times the power. Power = V*I = (V**2)/R = (I**2) * R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back