Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF transmission interference due to titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatman9

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am going to be testing an 13.56MHz RFID chip soon to see if a reader can sucessfully read thru a 1/4th inch thick titanium case with a 3/16ths inch diameter hole cut in it at a distance of 3 inches (i know its a horrible waste of a nice piece of titanium :sad: but my boss already drilled it)

What I want to know is:
1) if anyone has had experience with titanium-RF interferience
2) what I should expect to see, and will the interferience be too great with even a larger sized hole
3) if changing to 125kHz RFID would increase reliability of signal transmission

Last edited:

Won't work for an electromagntic field--hole is too small.

It might work if you try talking over a purely magnetic field. I would go with a lower frequency RFID (100 KHz) and try to drive a coil of wire in lieu of an antenna. Or you might actually have to pass a current into the titanium, which being paramagnetic may pass a chaning magnetic field thru it. Not sure, though.

Last edited:
it is using a coil of wire, my bad for misstating.

Last edited:

*UPDATE*

someone had a 134kHz rfid tag and reader, and I found that I am able to read thru the hole in titanium.
it should be noted tho that it doesnt work if the tag is held against the titanium, only when it is held about 1/4th of an inch away. the reader can be held right up against the titanium to about half an inch away.

I am recomending not to order the reader, and try to rework the system to implement a 134kHz or lower freq setup

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back