Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Trace design for GSM module

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi gentlemen,

I want to ask an interesting question:

I want to solder "RG-178 50 Ohm coaxial cable" direclty to SIM900 module's antenna output pins and another part of cable soldered to SMA connector. In this way, i want to by-pass RF PCB trace design (impedence matching) process.
I saw similar to this trick on a GPS vehicle tracking PCB. On that PCB, GSM module has an antenna that is about 2-3 millimeters diameter coaxial cable (i don't know which model of coax) directly soldered to the module :)

Is this simple method a good solution? Any opinions:?:

SIMCoax.png

Last edited:

I dont know, how you intend to connect the other SIM900 pins, but soldering RG-178 or a similar small cable either directly to the SIM 900 pins or to a carrier PCB directly beneath the antenna pins should result in a good impedance matching. I would preferable use a crimped 50 ohm connector at the other cable end.

Some mobile phones are using a small semi rigid cable instead of micro strip for internal connection of RF output to achieve lower losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back