Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF measurements: for frequencies greater than 6GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guruditya Sinha

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am finding that most signal generators are in the range of less than 6GHz measurement. They are pretty cheap also.Similar applies to VNAs, Spectrum analyzers.

Is there any way to get a non-conventional solution around how I can use these lower frequency range equipments and yet utilize them for higher frequencies?

Very open to any ideas on how this can be done. Most welcome to clarify this application requirement in case of any specific queries.

Additinally, I would like to know the real technical reason why there is so much of a price difference in 6GHz equipments and measurement devices that are at peak measurement frequencies of 8GHz. There seems to be an almost standard 6GHz cut-off for a lot of equipment I see around.

Cost with scale factor for features will be $k/GHz due to complexity of RF and material design quality.

I have seen $250k Generators. !! and $250 gens. This is normal.

/details are in the specs/

Hi,

I am finding that most signal generators are in the range of less than 6GHz measurement. They are pretty cheap also.Similar applies to VNAs, Spectrum analyzers.

Is there any way to get a non-conventional solution around how I can use these lower frequency range equipments and yet utilize them for higher frequencies?

Very open to any ideas on how this can be done. Most welcome to clarify this application requirement in case of any specific queries.

Additinally, I would like to know the real technical reason why there is so much of a price difference in 6GHz equipments and measurement devices that are at peak measurement frequencies of 8GHz. There seems to be an almost standard 6GHz cut-off for a lot of equipment I see around.

The main reason is hardware complexity and so far the production remained in low numbers. As the instruments become more common, the cost can go down.
One can use up- and down converters to extend frequency range above 6 GHz. Some companies work up to 110 GHz, others even in THz range.
Check www.spaceklabs.com for such extender converters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back