Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF filter? Problems with CMOS at 868MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

zahrein

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
RF filter?

I have been asked to design a band pass filter at 868MHZ using CMOS technology. I have found out that, it is difficult to deisgn at that frequency. The thing is i do not have any prove that can support my facts that it could not work at that frequency.

From my research, my Q factor is 10000. HOpe u all can give me some information so that i can answer to my supervisors.

RF filter?

the key element for designing BPF at high freq is to use active inductor...

Re: RF filter?

I am still in doubt but will this pattern of filter frequency response will be repeating itself at corner frequency n*868Mhz where n is n=1,2,3,... by using an active inductor?

I am not sure for CMOS I never designed in CMOS one. I am eager to learn it.

thank you
zanove

CMOS can be made to be both inductor and capacitor. I saw it somewhere. Then you can use those elements to built a filter.

:?:
Where you intend to use this CMOS band pass and power level through it???
XTASA

RF filter?

im design it for RFID application.. Is that answer ur question ?

Hi,

Inductors and capacitors in CMOS can be used to construct a filter with a Q of the order of 10 (maybe a little more) - this is mainly down to the Si substrate and cannot be overcome

If I understand you correctly and you require a filter with a Q of 10,000 then CMOS is not the way to go - you should try SAW technology maybe

jl

There are many research papers about RF BPF published on various IEEE transactions. They usually handle 1 to 5 GHz RF signal on CMOS. However, the performance is not good enough to replace SAW in cell phone application. For you RFID application, I just don't understand why you need so high Q value for the filters. If the specification of your RFID is not stringent (such as dynamic range, power dissaption, noise figure), it's possible to implement on CMOS.

RF filter?

I ve known that i cant design a band pass filter using CMOS with the Q point almost 10^5.

What are the reasons that i cant design with CMOS with a high Q, i need to know the reasons as im still trying to findout the reasons. Is it impossible? WHy?

The reason is simply due to the resistivity of Si substrate - this means that very high Q's cannot be achieved

SAW filters are normally produced on ceramic substrates enabling high Q's

RF filter?

the point is that inductor, do u try it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back