Not open for further replies.

mystery

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I have some RFID readers both at 125kHz and 13,56Mhz. I want to shield the backside of the reader. So no RF signal should be emit from backside of the reader, just front. I checked the site : http://www.ferrishield.com, but there seems no suitable products for the desired frequency.

Any idea or product, to shield it. Thanks for your help and interest.

Why don't you just use a copper sheet? 1cm thick copper sheet will be good
at 125 khz, the skin depth will be about 0.02cm.

mystery

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Since many RFID antennas are magneticly coupled coils, you might try a magnetic shield. Copper will not stop a magnetic field. You want something called Mu Metal.

mystery

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
biff44 said:
Since many RFID antennas are magneticly coupled coils, you might try a magnetic shield. Copper will not stop a magnetic field. You want something called Mu Metal.
Yes, Copper has µr=1 while µMetal has µr very high, but don't means that Cu cannot shield magnetic field. It depend how the shield is made, i speak about geometry of the magnetic circuit.
A properly designed, copper made, short circuit closed ring, may efficientely shield the your device.

I agree about the copper thickness... 2 to 5 times the skin depth.

µMetal, is a non-practical alloy. It should be cutted, folded, drilled BEFORE the magnetic grain oriantation. For this reason, only a factory may produce a formed µMetal sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…