Reverse polarity protection with FET is somewhat blighted by CDG capacitance

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hi,
It is necessary to provide reverse polarity protection for a 24W Buckboost LED driver with Vin = 8 to 136VDC. (when vin <18v, then power can be reduced to 2W).
I find that the diode D3 is needed to mitigate the current that comes through the drain_gate capacitance of the reverse polarity fet at supply-ON time. –Especially when Vin is negatively greater than -100V.
The simulator may be over-exaggerating the D-G capacitance of the FET……do you know how I can inspect how much D-G capacitance is in this FET in the LTspice simulator? (and how the simulator changes this capacitance with VDG?)
LTspice sim and pdf schem attached.

Attachments

• Reverse polarity protection.pdf
    12.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Reverse polarity protection.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 39

Review the LTspice help for MOSFET VDMOS model. Together with the Vgd model parameters, you can calculate th assumed capacitance and compare with datasheet values.

I believe, you can easier compensate Cgd by a capacitor in parallel with gate source, e.g. some 10 nF.

A problematic point is exposing the drain terminal without overvoltage protection, e.g. a TVD diode. Vds,max is exceeded in your simulation circuit due to "line inductance" oscillations.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.