Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resonant transformer - sign of the voltage reinduced in the secondary winding

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomasz1000

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Resonant transformer - sign of the voltage reinduced in the primary winding

Consider a biresonant transformer with a small coupling coefficient k << 1.
Let the voltage applied to the primary LC circuit of a resonant transformer be
U1(t) = U*sin(2*Pi*t), - then the current through the primary caused by the
sinusoidal voltage U1(t) will also be sinusoidal: I1(t)=I*sin(2*Pi*t), and so will
be the corresponding flux. So the voltage U2(t) induced in the secondary winding
will be a positive multiple of -cos(2*Pi*t) and so will be the current I2(t) through
the secondary winding. But then the voltage U1,2(t) reinduced in the primary
winding by I2(t) should be a positive multiple of -sin(2*Pi*t), which has the opposite sign
to U1(t). So the voltage reinduced in the primary winding should conteract the flow
of the current through the primary winding. As far as I know the reinduced voltage
increases the current flowing through the primary winding. What is the explanation?

This is similar to a shorted winding on a transformer. (An air-core transformer is just like a normal transformer, but with a small coupling coefficient k). If you apply a voltage to the primary while leaving the secondary open, current will only flow through the magnetizing inductance. However, if you short-circuit the secondary, the shorted secondary will reflect a low-impedance path and lots of current will flow (in both the primary and secondary). In your case, since k is small, shorting the secondary won't cause quite as much current to flow as a normal transformer; but you will see the effect nonetheless.

This is similar to a shorted winding on a transformer.... In your case, since k is small, shorting the secondary won't cause quite as much current to flow as a normal transformer; but you will see the effect nonetheless.

I think the current reinduced in the primary will actually decrease, but the effective inductance of the primary will be different from its self-inductance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back