Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Request PIC suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

yinchui

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest which PIC MCU will match following requirement,

1. min. 8K ROM, 256 bytes RAM
2. running in 4MHz or 8MHz
3. at least 2 external interrupt triggered both at rising and falling edge
4. EEProm type

Hi Robert,

Thanks, do u know whether it is difficult to port 8051 source code in C into PIC.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
That is a hard question to answer. It would be simple if all C compilers were created equal. (ANSI compliance.) However in the real world, there are differences, so it would depend on which compilers the code was going from, and to. I have had sucess many times. What is it you are doing? Which 8051 compiler are you using? It should be easy if it is made by a company which produces both 8051 and PIC compilers. (HiTech and IAR come to mind.) I have ported Kiel C to PIC without a lot of pain.
Regards,
Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks again. I'm going to port an 8051 C code for Tuner control into an PIC 16F76. And the 8051 code is compiled on Keil, I'm looking for the Hi-tech compiler for PIC. Because I've not using PIC before, I'm looking for information on compiler, deugger and programming guideline, etc....

Best regards,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Well, the first thing I'd do is download Microchip's MP Lab software. It is free here:
**broken link removed**
You will also find Tons of documents, data sheets, application notes, etc. there.

The HiTech compiler will run inside of this environment, and the environment has a simulator/debugger built in. It all integrates very nicely. You can get the free version here:
https://www.htsoft.com/products/PICClite.php
but the free version doesn't support the 16F76, however it will produce a hex for the 16F627A part, which is roughly the same, but doesn't have the AD converters. If you need AD, you could use the 16F877A.
You should be able to find a manual, and tool to install the compiler into MP Lab as well as other support docs on their site.

There are other C compilers which are free, or at least have a demo mode: CC5X, which is well liked by many, can be found here:
https://www.bknd.com/cc5x/
It supports the chip you want to use, as well as many others. Worth looking into! The commercial version is low priced, too, where HiTech is about a thousand dollars, CC5X is 250.

Also sourceboost is well liked by some. It can be found here:
**broken link removed** however the page wasn't loading when I tried. Sever down temporarily?

BTW, HiTech also produces a C compiler for the '51, too bad your original source wasn't built with this, it would be a snap.

Hope this helps you get going.
Regards,
Robert

Hi Robert,

Thank you so much for the info. I'll gather those doc and tools to make the work done.

Best regards,
Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back