Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

REQ: How to xfer data between 2 GPRS phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeRoN

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I would like to send/receive data between 2 points
via GPRS network by GPRS phone/modem.
(Siemens ME45 or MOTOROLA g18)

Any ideas?

It must be use TCP/IP (PPP) over GPRS network or not?

Thanks for any advise.
Regards,
ZeRoN

Yes, it has to be tcp/ip. But it is not possible without help (service) of your GSM provider, I'm not sure that they are offering point to point GPRS. You have to use special service (in my country): leased line (frame relay) on one side (connection to GPRS provider) and your mobile GPRS accounts. I have that and it's working ok.

regards
meax98

I can use Siemens ME45 (use GPRS) to connect to internet from PC. via RS232 cable.

Thats mean, I can use PPP/SLIP on an Embedded System (AT command) connect to internet through it too, I think.

Am I corrected?

but I have no ideato get IP number
after connected.

Any comment?

Thanks
Regards,
ZeRoN

I can use Siemens ME45 (use GPRS) to connect to internet from PC. via RS232 cable.

Thats mean, I can use PPP/SLIP on an Embedded System (AT command) connect to internet through it too, I think.

Am I corrected?

but I have no idea to get IP number
after connected.

Any comment?

Thanks
Regards,
ZeRoN

Do you want to connect your device or pc to GPRS provider (internet) or you want to connect your two devices together over GPRS (point to point GPRS) ?

meax98

Depending on the telco hardware, a phone can with

Default programming:(at telco side)
Originate voice call
Originate Data call
Receive Voice call
Will not recive data call (page fail)

If its programed for data mode:
Originate voice call (cos 3)
Originate Data call (cos 4)
Receive Data call
Will not recive Voice call

Seems then that if you program one phone to be isp
it will not answer voice calls anymore.
This depends how packets are spread on the net.
For voice they are lpcded and so loose data integrity
For data, 2 channels are set, and no loss but no voice...

Dear meax98,
I would like to connect 2 devices together.
(point to point GPRS through service provider)

Regards,
ZeRoN

Where do you come from?Because, all you need is help of your gsm provider. In my country I'm using service like that: having installed 200 gsm tracking devices/loggers in customers trucks and controlling them online through GPRS.

regards
meax98

you have no problems, simply have to make ppp implementation to connect to your ISP, then you can tx data as packets of data encapsulated on IP, with UDP ot TCP

GPRS PTP

If both mobiles are attached and activated PDP Context, they will be aware of each other. As most operators are assigning dynamic IP addresses, you should always be aware of your other parts IP addr. In most cases you could ask for your operator to assign you static IP (private or public)
Rest is common TCP/IP communication.

Note : Operators could be restricting mobile-to-mobile traffic. You should ask for it, or just test it.

You can not transfer data between 2 GPRS phones unless it is supported by an operator.

Oly thig you cn transfer via GPRS is MMS and someitmes SMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.