Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacement for MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTI_16V

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am repairing battery charger. It has 6 STP180N55F3 mosfets, 3 are gone. Can I replace it with IRFB7440PBF? In datasheet they seem similar, except power discipation. STP180N55F3 says 300W, IRFB7440PBF says 208 but it has countinous dran current 208A while STP180N55F3 has 120A? I have some other options like
IPP023N10N5AKSA1 but it is 5 times more expensive

The difference in nominal power is due to junction to case thermal resistance, it may matter if you are operating the transistor on huge heatsink with less than 2 K/W per transistor.

I would be more concerned about the lower Vdss of 40 versus 55 V. Are you sure there's sufficient voltage margin?

I didn't study the board layout so much, but as I saw theese mosfets are going directly to outputs (3 outputs for 3 different batterie banks). They dont have heatsinks, they are through hole mounted on the board. So my logic says that there cant be any voltage higher then 14.5 on source/drain of theese mosfets because charger is for 12V batte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back