Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repair Wharfedale speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

krneki10

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an old pair of Wharfedale speakers which stopped playing any music whatsoever. One is still a bit beeping, while other one is completely quite. One was already repaired few years ago, only capacitors were replaced and that seemed to work. Here is an image of this repaired circuit:

**broken link removed**

Where should I start? What do you recommend?

I would take the person who repaird it last time and shoot them. This is a cross-over filter which is fed by AC from the amplifier but they have used polarized capacitors as replacements for non-polarized ones.

However, the first thing to check is the loudspeakers themselves, discionnect the filter first then run wires directly from the amplifier to the tags on each loudspeaker and feed some music through them. Don't turn the volume up too high, just enough to listen comfortably. The tone may sound horrible but you should hear clear sound from each individual loudspeaker unit. If any are silent or distorted, the loudspeaker itself is defective. If they are OK, the first suspect would be those capacitors. Replace them but with non-polarized types, the value shoudl be the sum of each of the ones in the group of 4 and the same as the single one, that is assuming the previous repairer used the same values as were originally there.

Brian.

Are you sure that the speakers haven't been damaged?
You can check the speaker resistance with an ohmmeter.

In your photo I see a few electrolytic capacitors, I assume they are the source of the problem and they can be replaced easily.

Check the values they have, the single one and the four ones that seem to be in parallel (in which case the capacitance adds)

I personally wouldn't use this kind of capacitors in the speakers , I use a MKT polyester capacitor at minimum but they are more expensive.

If you want to do some reading about crossovers
https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/Crossover/
https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Tables/XOver/1stOrder.aspx
https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Tables/XOver/2ndOrder.aspx

You have a three way that maybe uses a 1st/2ns order filter combination.

- - - Updated - - -

I would be careful to connect the tweeter directly to the amp, better put a capacitor in series

So this is what I have:
**broken link removed**

I know capacitors aren't the correct ones, but speaker actually worked for years, just a bit quieter than before, so I had to calibrate that in receiver. The other speaker still worked fine until recently with original capacitors, so I still have "data" for original components if I need to replace anything.

The capacitors are 25 micro Farad /50v and 4.7 micro Farad /50v non polarized capacitors.
I don't see any resistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.