Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Removing the input of boost converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanmaedexandzelbladex

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to ask about shutting down boost converters. Let's say I have a boost converter such as in this figure **broken link removed** . Let's say that my inductor current is at 10A and my input voltage is let's say around 12V and the converter is at steady-state. If I suddenly remove the input, then the inductor current cannot get the current anywhere and since di/dt = instantaneous (current is being forced to 0A immediately), then voltage across it is forced to be really high. This would be problematic? What could happen if I try to do this in real life?

Next question is let's say I want to remove this. I plan on putting a capacitor in the input (parallel to the input voltage source)which most DC-DC converter designs I have seen has this and they label it sometimes as Bulk capacitor. First I thought it acts as a filter only but then I thought that if the input is suddenly removed, the inductor current could get current from that capacitor and slowly drain its voltage. Is this correct? Is this a good solution?

Now the next question is how should I size this input capacitor? From theory, if inductor current is 10A, then at the removal of the input, 10A = C dV/dt. So should the capacitor be sized only with the wanted dV/dt (turn-off time)? Are there other considerations for this capacitor? I'm not too sure if a capacitor can handle 10A discharge current will it explode?

Thanks

A clamping diode across Vin is probably a simpler solution than a capacitor. If the source is disconnected then it will become forward biased and conduct the inductor current until it falls to zero.

diode must be connected across an inductor to avoid the damage since the back emf forward bias the diode when it's switched off.

Status
Not open for further replies.