Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Removing PC power supply fan (for lab use)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancra85

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I use the 12 volts from an old PC power supply, it has 8A.
What I connect to it has a consumption of around 4,5A
Would it be cool if I remove the fan from it? It's very noisy... or will it get too hot???
Thanks!

It will almost certainly get too hot (eventually) if you remove the fan.

You might try to use a PC fan speed adjuster on it, or just a small resistor. Search google for what size resistors people use to slow the fan down and make it quieter - I've never done it that way. Or just experiment!

You will only really know by trying it, but I bet that removing it completely is a bad idea. You might get away with slowing the fan down.

A final idea: buy a quieter fan, but I guess you want to do it more cheaply.

Edit to add: I am assuming the fan is powered from the 12V - check that!!! There is a possibility it might run from the mains on an old PSU. If so, don't mess with it.

thanks for the advice!
I will try adding a resistor

A fan with a small propeller spins it very fast (and is noisy).
But a fan with a large propeller spins it slower (and is less noisy) to produce the same air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back