Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reliability analysis of electronic systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbalez

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

how can i perform reliability analysis of an electronic system. how can it be done through monte carlo analysis and simulation? if you have an idea please share it with me. i plan to do this topic as my end-of-semester project for fault-tolerant computing subject. i realized that Orcad's PSpice has a useful monte carlo analysis tool in it. how can i perform reliability test using this tool.

can you suggest some papers or books that i should refer to?

As far as I remember, the Monte Carlo method used in PSpice ( and other similar products) is dedecated to analalyse circuit performance as function of parts tolerances. It can not be used for relaibility analisys.

There are a number of good electronic reliability books on the market. Reliability analysis involves understanding the reliability (mechanical and electrical) of each part of an assembly and their relationship with each other.

Reliability is a probability number. It is defined as the probability of something to perform its purpose for a specified period of time under a specified set of conditions. The longer the time the lower the probabilitiy. Reliablity can be measured in the terms of survival (p) or failure (1-p). I can say a part has a survival propability of 0.999 or the probability it will fail is 1-0.999= 0.001.

If I have 5 things that all have the same probability of failing and all must work for the whole system to work then the system probability is p1*p2*p3*p4*p5.

A web site for a componay that sells Reliability Software is http://www.relex.com and they have a link for "Resources" that you may want to look through.

Hope it helps.

Dr.Prof

fault-tolerant computing include and reliability of computer protocols, programs etc.; and software methods to increase it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back