Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay Operation Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvel

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm looking at a 12V relay rated for 30VDC - 230VAC loads. My question is, will 30VAC loads be just as well within this operational range?

Item is a Velleman VR10V121C .

Cheers

Last edited:

The rating is for max voltages, anything below that rating is allowed ..

:wink:
IanP

Reactions: DrWhoF

DrWhoF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yeah, I guessed that, but after reading on minimum voltage operation conditions for successfully and reliably making contact in electromechanical relays, doubt started to set in.

Are you not mixing the relay contact voltage (load) rating with the relay coil minimum voltage rating?
They are two different thing ..

IanP

I don't think so, have a look at this...

**broken link removed**

This article is by all means true, yes, there is (undefined) low-limit on reliably switching low voltages while using high power relays, and you have to put this information into context of what you are trying to do ..
So have a look at your original question .. is 30Vac ok with 30Vdc-250Vac relay?
The answer is that unless you are not talking about a big, big relay rated for kWs of power, all other relays (suitable for your load) will work just fine ..

IanP

Cheers for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.