Relay for switching 120vac circuit triggered via 120vac resistive load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RP55

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there a way (relay or other) to have a resistive AC load (120vac) trigger another circuit branch switch without affecting the resistive load? In other words, if I put the coil of an AC relay (high impedance) in series with my resistive load, then no current will flow thru the load (which is what I don't want.... I want the load to continue working). Is there a low impedance version of a relay I can use in this high current scenario? I need to keep the circuits separate, hence the relay.

Is the only option to go active components (i.e. triac's, etc)?

What do you want?

I have two 100w lightbulbs (labeled 1 & 2) on a 120vac power source. They share a spdt switch such that either bulb 1 comes on or the other (bulb 2) depending on the switch position. Simple. I want to modify it as follows:

If bulb 1 is on, then bulb 2 is off. That's obviously built in. And i want that.
But if bulb 2 is on, I want bulb 1 to also be on.

I mistakingly thought that by using an AC relay in series (i.e. the relay coil) with bulb 2 I could close the bulb 1 switch. But I realized that the high impedance of the relay will not allow bulb 2 to light up continuously.

Status
Not open for further replies.