Not open for further replies.

luckyvictor

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am not too sure what is the relationship between bandwidth and bit rate.

Let say in one wireless system/chip, the expecting income signal is 200kbps. The data rate of the chip is 500kBaud, in MSK, and the frequency range is 2400 - 2480MHz.

Can the system/chip transmit the incoming? How much bandwidth am I using? Otherwise, what other information is necessary to answer the above questions please?

Last edited:

Baud rate gives better picture in terms of bandwidth usage, because this factor determine how frequently signal will change at physical layer.

If you can encode data bits in say n bits, that is number of bits transferred per baud, then Bit Rate = Baud Rate * n.

Hope this helps

is the n value for MSK equal to 1?

What Jack//ani said is absolutely correct and to the point but I have a feeling that it wasn't the answer you (luckvictor) were expecting.

To be very brief, luckvictor, you are trying to input a 200kbs signal into a chip of data rate 500KBd. This means your chip is looking at 0.4 bits or samples per symbol/baud. As far as I know, MSK needs atleast 1 sample per symbol, which I assume is what you meant by the n value. Thus, in this case n = 0.4 < 1.

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.