Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] relationship fourier - laplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasserkasten

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I often hear "the Fourier transfer function is equal to the Laplace transfer function with the Laplace variable s replaced by j*w: H(j*w) = H(s)".
Can anyone explain how this applies to cos(w0*t)?

The Fourier transform of cos(w0*t) is "1/2 * ( delta(f-f0) + delta(f+f0) )" (where w0=2*pi*f0 and w=2*pi*f) - see https://www.astro.umd.edu/~lgm/ASTR410/ft_ref2.pdf
But its Laplace transfer function is "s / ( s^2 + w0^2 )".

So the beginning of the transformation could be:
s / ( s^2 + w0^2 )
-> j*w / ( (j*w)^2 + w0^2 ) =
= j*w / ( - w^2 + w0^2 )

-> where do the delta(...) come from (leading to the corresponding Fourier transform)?

Thank you in advance.

s domain in laplace transform is represented as

s=σ+jw

in fourier transform we represent a signal in jw terms

so the relationship is

Ft= Lt where σ->0

ok, but this is what i already said in the first posting. the actual question was:
how to use this fact to find the relationship between the "fourier transform of cosinus" and the "laplace transform of cosinus"?

substitute instead of s and then put sigma = 0

this will bring your answer out

one more thing what is Cosinus cos(s) or something like that

hmm, the question is still open: starting with the laplace transform of cos "s/(s^2+w0^2)" and substituting "s=j*w" i'm stuck in the last step mentionned in the first posting.
how to proceed there (explicite steps) to get to the fourier transform of cos?

s= sigma +jw

my pal and not sigma*jw

- - - Updated - - -

this becomes more easy now i guess

thanks for your quick answer.
i will give it a try:
laplace transform of cos(w0*t) =
s / ( s^2 + w0^2 )
-> substitution of s = "sigma + jw" with sigma=0 leads to
jw / ( -w^2 + w0^2 )
= ?

i don't see the way how to get to the fourier transform of cos "1/2 * (delta(f-f0) + delta(f+f0))" after the last step.
so how would you proceed after the last step above?

The Fourier transform is the Laplace Transform with the real component equal to zero. In other words you get the Fourier transform if you "stay" on the j omega axis.

yes this was clear since the beginning of this thread (see first posting).
i think i've found the answer concerning the laplace-fourier-relationship of the cos transform:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform#Inverse_Laplace_transform (section 4.3.2)
and
**broken link removed** (slide 7)

there it is stated that the fourier transform of cos can not be simply found by substituting s by jw in the laplace transform of cos.

Hi wasserkasten

I didn't follow your links, but anyway let me point out this important fact:

FT) The Fourier transform is an integral that extends from -Inf to +Inf in time. The function cos(w0*t) you are considering "lives" in the whole real t axis too.

LT) Instead, te (usual) Laplace transform (that you are considering) is unilateral, i.e., the integral in t goes from 0 to +Inf.

Yo say that LT end FT are equivalent just replacing s by jw is right only for functions that are 0 for all t<0.
If you calculate the FT for the cos() that starts at t=0 (i.e. is 0 for t<0) you shuld get a coincidence.

I avoided to mention the problem of convergence of the integrals, but I think that what I said answers your question.
Regards

Z

Fourier transform have 1D and 2D calculation, so the denominator, pi or 2*pi is Difference from Laplace transform and result in , I donn't know Advance Laplace transforms will equal with Fouier transform or not .

Someone had try take a*b as input of two type of Transform , then the output will be easy to see. Someone try other method that control direction , It's very hard .

- - - Updated - - -

Fourier transform have 1D and 2D calculation, so the denominator, pi or 2*pi is Difference from Laplace transform and result in , I donn't know Advance Laplace transforms will equal with Fouier transform or not .

Someone had try take a*b as input of two type of Transform , then the output will be easy to see. Someone try other method that control direction , It's very hard .

Status
Not open for further replies.