Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regarding the Xilinx Jtag programmer connector details

Status
Not open for further replies.

prakashvenugopal

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am attaching the Xilinx parallel IV cable Jtag connector details. In this, what does the Vref mean? What voltage i have to fed to this Vref for programming the device.

Will this Cable supports for coolrunner II CPLD devices.?

Please let me know.

https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/96_1317283811.jpg

thanks,
V. Prakash

Target Reference Voltage. This pin should be connected to a
voltage bus on the target system that supplies the SPI, JTAG or
slave serial interface. For example, when communicating with
CoolRunner II device using the JTAG interface, VREF should be
connected to the target VAUX bus. VREF must be connected to a
regulated voltage. There must not be any current limiting resistor.
VREF Target Reference Voltage min 1.5 V , max 5.5 V.

in jtag is the converter at the input level. between levels jtag (may be different), and levels of chips inside the cable (always the same). This level converter is powered from this vref. additional presence of this vref- a sign of docking cable.

Hi,

If i use flying lead wires in the xilinx programmer, the following connector details is correct?
Please let me know.
The Programmer will come in both flying lead wire as well as Jtag?

1 TMS
2 TDI
3 TDO
4 TCK
5 GND
6 Vref

Regards,
V. Prakash
Vetal / India

I did not understand the idea of ​​the question.
on the cable is drawn wiring a 14 pin connector

Hi,

Xilinx programming Parallel IV cable will come in both JTAG connection as well as flying wire leads.

Jtag connection -- 14 pins
Flying lead wires -- 6 pins

I am just asking the flying lead wire connection for the connector is correct?

Thanks,
V. Prakash

If i use flying lead wires in the xilinx programmer, the following connector details is correct?

1 TMS
2 TDI
3 TDO
4 TCK
5 GND
6 Vref

Yes, however the are some spaces/unused between a few of the lines.

Reference the drawing of the DLC7 programming cable below:

DLC7.jpg

Hope the info helps,

BigDog

Reactions: sanju_

sanju_

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
inside the box they are connected. more appropriate to have on board a standard connector. Not necessarily pin 14, but definitely connected. In this regard, the black USB cable supplied with the adapter on separate wires, and the new (red) without him. Therefore I propose to make an adapter with 14 pin JTAG on the individual.

Hi,

My Question is will Xilinx programming Parallel IV cable come in both Jtag and flying led wires?
If so, what is the connection details for it?

thanks,
V. Prakash

Here is a simple cable. **broken link removed**
had a different standard connections are internally connected.
your cable totally well. You can connect to any place and everything will work. Naturally if you connect two circuits at once, will not work.

Hi,

Do you know the part number for Xilinx Parallel IV cable Programmer.
I had seen the datasheet ds097. It shows the ordering information as HW- PC4. Will this is the part number for this part?

Thanks,
V. Prakash

Do you know the part number for Xilinx Parallel IV cable Programmer.
I had seen the datasheet ds097. It shows the ordering information as HW- PC4. Will this is the part number for this part?

The part number is HW-PC4, however it was discontinued Jan. 2010:

XILINX Product Discontinuation Notice For Development Systems Products

Digikey XILINX HW-PC4 Programming Cable

Occasionally they are available on eBay, however you might be better off purchasing a clone USB Xilinx programming cable.

BigDog

scheme, which I quoted above - is actually an old xcheker. I do not know how Spartan but virtex 4 works fine.

if you take the cable for debugging embedded processor parallel cable is very slow. need to take usb.

hi,

will HW-USB-II-G programmer support all features of xilinx parallel cable IV? Able to do simulation using chipscope Pro?
I have to buy a xilinx programmer? Can you please recommend a programmer which supports both FPGA and CPLD devices?

thanks,
V. Prakash

will HW-USB-II-G programmer support all features of xilinx parallel cable IV? Able to do simulation using chipscope Pro?
I have to buy a xilinx programmer? Can you please recommend a programmer which supports both FPGA and CPLD devices?

Yes, all of above. I use the HW-USB-II-G and have three of them.

I have also purchased a clone XILINX USB JTAG cable for a customer, so that they could download updates of firmware. They never reported any problems.

**broken link removed**

If you feel lucky, you could always give a clone cable a try like above.

BigDog

Hi,

The price for Xilinx HW-USB-II-G is $225
The Price for Xilinx FPGA CPLD USB JTAG Download cable is $56

Both are Xilinx products. what makes this price difference? Any restriction in Xilinx FPGA CPLD USB JTAG Download cable? Please let me know.

thanks,
V. Prakash

The price for Xilinx HW-USB-II-G is $225
The Price for Xilinx FPGA CPLD USB JTAG Download cable is $56

Both are Xilinx products. what makes this price difference? Any restriction in Xilinx FPGA CPLD USB JTAG Download cable? Please let me know.

They are NOT both Xilinx products, the second one is a CLONE produced by a third party. I have only tested a clone cable by downloading BIT file to the FPGA, hence the phrase, "If you feel lucky..." At the time it was a inexpensive solution for a customer to download the bit files in the field.

I personally only use the real Xilinx product, HW-USB-II-G.

BigDog

Hi,

shall i go with Xilinx HW-USB-II-G? Is there any recommendation apart from this Programmer.?

Any updated programmer other than this with more features, please let me know.

thanks,
V. Prakash

shall i go with Xilinx HW-USB-II-G? Is there any recommendation apart from this Programmer.?

If you require ChipScope and Microblaze Debugging compatibility beside the Programming features for current and future versions of ISE, I would recommend the HW-USB-II-G. It is significantly more money, however you know Xilinx is going to keep it current with firmware updates. There is always a chance the "clones" could become incompatible with a new release of ISE.

The only other option would be to find a Xilinx HW-USB-G, the previous version the HW-USB-II-G replaced. They are similar in appearance but have a black case, rather than the red case of the latest version. I have seen them listed on eBay from time to time at significant savings from Xilinx's original pricing.

Any updated programmer other than this with more features, please let me know.

No, the Xilinx HW-USB-II-G is the latest and greatest.

BigDog

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

One other option just came to mind. Digilent, who produces many of the Xilinx Development Boards, has a USB JTAG cable which is, "It is compatible with all Xilinx tools, including iMPACT, Chipscope, and EDK."

I believe it requires Digilent's drivers to function properly, however due to the close relationship of Xilinx and Digilent, I would have few fears of their JTAG cable becoming incompatible or obsolete.

BigDog

Hi,

The Xilinx HW-USB-II-G will have 14 pin Jtag connector to program a target device as HW- PC4?

thanks,
V. Prakash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back